The Johanneum Collection in Dresden was built up by Augustus the Strong, King of Poland and Elector of Saxony (1670-1733) in the early 18th century. In 1717 it was moved to the Hollandisches Palais in Dresden, which Augustus renamed the Japanisches Palais. An inventory was made in 1721, to which pieces acquired up to 1727 were later added. All the pieces were given incised numbers according to their class. From around 1735 to 1875 the collection was stored in the basement and pieces were probably sold, given away or stolen during that time. From 1876 onwards it was permanently exhibited in the Johanneum, but in sales held in 1919, 1920 (Rudolph Lepke Kunst Auctionhaus, Berlin, 12/14.10.1920) and 1926 over 1,500 duplicates came onto the market.
Reitlinger, Gerald, ‘The Economics of Taste’, 2 volumes, London 1963, volume 2, p.221.